What is Adventure Play?
Adventure Play at The Parish School is a unique opportunity for children to reimagine the world around them and engage in self-directed play. Children are given the chance to create anything they can imagine using materials others may cast aside as trash, like cardboard boxes, old tires, wood pallets and dirt.
We offer Adventure Play as an after school program on The Parish School campus Monday-Thursday from 3:15 – 5:30 p.m. It is open to all children (public or private) between the ages of 6-12 years old. Students have to opportunity to attend 2 or 4 days per week.
Why Adventure Play?
When you think back to your own childhood, you may remember hours spent climbing trees, drawing in the mud, building an obstacle course for your bike, taking apart a broken appliance, or just exploring a refrigerator box for hours. This was child-directed play, a vital process through which children understand themselves and the world around them.
Children’s play, particularly in metro areas like Houston, is often restricted by time and space; time because after school hours are filled with homework and other adult-directed activities, and space because the city is not designed for roaming children. The Parish School’s Adventure Play provides both, and is staffed by adults who support and understand a child’s need to explore.
During self-directed play, children:
- Are in charge of their own time. They can figure out what is important to them and what is worth compromising in a shared space.
- Have the opportunity to make mistakes and learn from them. Play is, by nature, process oriented, not product.
- Can work from their strengths, but are more motivated to tackle their challenges. Play is very motivating, even when certain aspects of it are difficult.
- Have the freedom to try new things without the timeline and structure of a classroom. Incredible things are learned in a classroom, but information can become personal and applied through play.
- Learn about community. When adults step back, children need one another, and individual strengths become important to others.
2 days per week - $250 per month
4 days per week - $450 per month
How to Enroll
We're excited to announce that Adventure Play is being offered at Camp Acorn for Summer 2017! Visit the Camp Acorn webpage for info.
Director of Adventure Play
713.467.4696 x. 145
"As a child, I grew up in the country...there were no computers, no X-boxes, no internet, no DVD's. My playground was very much the same as what you have expertly put together for Cade and his classmates. Tree limbs became swords, feathers from chickens and pheasants became Native American headbands and so on."
- Carroll E. Wilborn, Jr., Senior District Judge & Parish Alumni Grandpa (1945-2015)